Contact Us

cemetery sign

Cemetery Director

Delores Hammer


20593 Blue & Gold Dr
Elkton, VA 22827

(540) 713-4062

For emergencies on weekends/holidays only call 540-298-0137.


100 Elk Run Drive
Elkton, VA 22827

Cemetery Resources

Cemetery ByLaws

Cemetery Rules

Marker Regulations

Cemetery Commissioners

Cemetery Map

Meeting Minutes

Interment Order and Permit Form

Interred Report


Elk Run Cemetery

Cemetery Director | Delores Hammer


cemeteryHave you considered purchasing your burial plots in advance? The current rate for a space is $1000.00 for Town residents and $1500.00 for out of town.

The town now offers an interest free payment plan option for those who don't have cash funds available. Contact the Cemetery Office daily at 540-713-4062 during the hours of 8:00am - 4:00pm for additional information.

Additionally, when a burial occurs the Town of Elkton charges a $750.00 fee to open and close the grave effective September 1, 2019. This fee is not payable in advance. Once someone is buried maintenance personnel removes dead flowers, seeds and levels the grave. Owners have the option to purchase a space and place a stone on their space at any time.

The Elk Run Cemetery is well maintained all year round. Our courteous, knowledgeable staff is available from 8:00am thru 4:00pm daily and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. You may call the office at 540-713-4062.



In 2014 some exciting revisions occurred in the cemetery. During the years numerous discussions have been held, but no action was taken to pinpoint the exact locations of the existing burial spaces in the "Dollar Grave Section". Kevin Whitfield, former Town Manager, took matters into his own hands and engaged GEO to come to Elk Run Cemetery with grave penetrating radar and identify the unknown burials. This action was justified by the fact that it is the respectful to acknowledge our ancestors who are someone’s family and they were loved. The second justification was attributed to statistics showing no grave sales were occurring in these sections due to the fact no one was sure where interments had taken place.

Each previous Cemetery Director was informed by “word of mouth” the existing map for the older sections in Elk Run cemetery were incorrect. Mr. Whitfield and Charlotte Shifflett took action and contracted David Ingram to survey Sections 5, 6 and 7. It was found that many burials had occurred in pathways and even in old roadways which were never constructed. This action freed up many spaces available for sale in the future.

Last but not least, the final project is now an ongoing process. One hundred, forty two spaces were identified as “unknown”. They may be unknown but be assured they are not forgotten! Each grave has been marked with an individual stone reading "Unknown". Some local donors came forward and made a contribution in memory of a loved one. Without DNA samples we cannot identify whose remains are in the space, but please take satisfaction in knowing their legacy lives on for all future generations.



In 2017, acting Town Manager/Mayor Wayne Printz and Elkton Town Council gave Charlotte Shifflett/Cemetery Director approval to complete the remainder of the ground penetrating radar located in Sections 5, 6 and 7. A survey of the remaining area was completed, including the "slave section" and 145 unidentified graves were recorded. Troy Shifflett/Public Works Director had maintenance staff set the stones marked as "Unknown". We justified the project by the same reasons mentioned in the above narrative.

Obviously, a new map is posted on the website and the completed updates reflect the correct mapping numbers. Call the Cemetery Director at 540-713-4062 to make inquiries, share and/or correct information.


Consider helping the cemetery with these additional expenses by donating a stone(s) in memory of a loved one. We were able to get the stones at cost so they are $30.00 each. Thank you in advance. Call 540-713-4062 for information.



elkrunlibertymeetinghouseIn the early 1800’s the eastern half of the present day Elkton was known as the Elk Run community, taking it’s name from the creek that flowed from Blue Ridge Mountains through the community, into Elkton and eventually into the South Fork of the Shenandoah River.

Residents of Elk Run and the surrounding area held a meeting September 8, 1821, for the purpose of finding a suitable location for a meeting house, a school house and a burial ground. The sight selected –where Elk run now exists-was along the main road from Swift Run Gap to Elkton, a combination of what is now Tanyard Bridge Rd. and Spotswood Avenue.

On March 21, 1822 the 30 X 60 foot meeting house, constructed of hand hewn timbers, was completed by Henry Monger, Jr. at a cost of $160.00. The building which contained a center divider to separate the men’s and women’s sides , had two entry doors in front-one for the women’s side and one for the men’s (evident in the turn –of- the- century photographs, which shows the building after clap board siding had been installed. A balcony was built in the rear of the facility, then known as Elk Run Liberty Meeting House.

Initially, the building was used mainly by the Methodist as a church, but other denominations used the building. Eventually, other Protestant congregations built their own churches, and when the United Brethren built its church in 1910, the meeting house was dismantled.

During the dismantling of the meeting house an inscription was found on one of the door facings which read “Davis B. Ingrain born February 12, 1825. At Elkton Run Church Dec. 1865 guarding prisoners.

During the Civil War, the building was used several times to house prisoners. Confederate troops under Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson and Thomas Ewell had camp.

Much of the materials from the dismantled structure were used to erect a home for the cemetery’s caretaker on the northeast corner of the intersection of Newtown Road and East Spotswood Avenue. The building stood until it was razed to make room for the widening of Newtown Road.

Just to the northeast of where the meeting house originally stood, a school house, known as Elk run Academy, was built shortly after the meeting house. In 1912, it too was razed, and some of the old building materials were used in construction of the Elkton Restaurant in 1913 at the corner of Terrace Avenue and Spotswood Trail, but that’s another story.

Home | Town Departments | Town Council | Community | Business | Employment | Site Index