The Elkton Planning Commission is a group of six volunteers & one council member. They are appointed by town council to be an advisory board on zoning & land use issues. They perform this function for both the council and the zoning administrator. The commission proactively works toward this goal by maintaining the comprehensive plan for the town, reviewing and suggesting updates to zoning ordinances, and suggesting proper zoning for all property brought into the Town of Elkton from the county.
For example, the image above features El Paso restaurant, which was remodeled inside and out. A permit was issued recently for approval of the existing sign. In addition, the owner went thru the zoning process requesting permission for construction of a patio in the front.
During our commission meetings we discuss these items and open issues before the town. Our goal is to help individuals and businesses achieve their goals within the boundaries of the town code and in a way that benefits the whole community. The meetings are open to the public, and we welcome anyone interested to be our guest.
Regular meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month in the Council Chambers located in the Community Center at 20593 Blue & Gold Dr. at 7 p.m. Notice will be posted if a meeting is rescheduled.
The Town of Elkton Planning Commission serves in an advisory capacity to town council to plan for the future development of our town. It’s common duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares and Reviews Comprehensive Plan
- Plan Chapters
- Land Development - Chapter 110 of Elkton Code
- §110-713 Amendment Final Foundation Survey adopted August 16, 2010
- Reviews, acts on applications, and makes recommendations to Council regarding sub-division of land.
- Reviews rezoning requests
- Responsible to update and distribute text amendments to the Code for Town of Elkton.
- Plan Maps
- Update Official Zoning Map as needed (Existing land use map is located in Zoning Office at 173 W Spotswood Avenue)
- Future Growth
|Daniel Talbot Chair||611 4th St. Elkton, Virginia 22827||(540) 298-0611||08/17/12-08/17/16|
|Goldie Helsley||204 East "E" Street, Elkton Virginia 22827||(540) 298-1793||09/30/10-09/30/14|
|Madelyn Dixon||214 Ashby Ave Elkton, Virginia 22827||(540) 298-1319||07/01/10-06/30/14|
|Cathy Morrison||907 – 6th Street Elkton, Virginia 22827||(540) 298-2191||11/30/10-11/30/14|
|Richard McGregor||264 Windsong Hills Dr. Elkton, Virginia 22827||not available||09/30/10-09/30/14|
|Jason Blose||16743 E. Spring Ave Elkton, Virginia 22827||not available||02/23/09-02/23/13|
|Margaretta Isom - Council Representative||434 Wirt Ave Elkton, Virginia 22827||(540)-363-8797||Per Council|
§ 110-800 Applicability of provisions
These regulations shall be administered in accordance with the provisions below.
§ 110-801 Zoning Administrator
A. Appointment. The Zoning Administrator shall be appointed by and shall serve at the pleasure of the Town of Elkton town Council which shall fix the compensation of the Zoning Administrator.
B. Powers and duties relating to zoning. The Zoning Administrator is authorized and empowered on behalf of and in the name of the Elkton Town Council to administer and enforce the provisions set forth herein, including receiving applications, inspecting premises, and issuing building permits and certificates of occupancy for uses and structures which are in conformance with the provisions of this chapter. The Zoning Administrator shall have all necessary authority on behalf of the Elkton Town Council to administer and enforce this chapter, including and ordering, in writing, the remedy for any condition found in violation of this chapter, and the bringing of legal actions, including injunction or abatement, or other appropriate action or proceedings, to ensure compliance with this chapter. The Zoning Administrator does not have the authority to take final action on applications or matters involving variances or on special exceptions, on which final action is reserved to the Board of Zoning Appeals or governing body.
The Town of Elkton Board of Zoning Appeals was established pursuant to the provisions of Article 7, Chapter 22, Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia. The duties of the BZA powers, duties, and procedures are set forth in broad terms in the State Code and are furthered detailed in the Code for Town of Elkton.
What is zoning?
The following information is provided in an attempt to inform the public of the zoning process so that you may get a better understanding and hopefully participate in future development of Elkton.
Zoning designates the type of uses permitted on property owned by you. Generally, houses are built in residential areas, light manufacturing in M I zoning, and commercial in Business Districts. The Town of Elkton Code book may be accessed online. It contains all ordinances relative to zoning and permitted uses within each district.
The Dental Center in the picture above went from a vacant lot to the completed product. It went through several permit requests, including placement and construction of the sign.
Is zoning ever changed and if so how do I make a request?
First you must apply at the Zoning Office located at 173 W Spotswood Avenue or call 540-713-4062 and speak with the Zoning Administrator. Zoning may not be considered for change until the Planning Commission and Town Council hold Public Hearings on the zoning change proposal (s).
How do I learn of proposed zoning changes
The Planning Commission has several options to notify citizens of a proposed change.
- Two weeks prior to Public Hearings the Zoning Administrator will notify adjacent property owners by certified mail. In addition, one and two weeks prior to the hearing an advertisement will be published in the local newspaper, the Daily News Record, The newspaper advertisements are published in the classified advertising section one and two weeks prior to the public hearing.
- At least three weeks prior to a public hearing, a sign will be posted on the property indicating a pending zoning request. The sign should read “Zoning Amendment Pending” and contain a telephone number of the zoning administrator’s office.
- The Planning/Zoning Department is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am thru 4:00 pm. Any files relative to rezoning will be on display for public to view during the scheduled hours. Any person interested in viewing the official zoning map may also visit during these hours.
Attend a public hearing
- During a public hearing citizens are invited to speak in support or opposition to each request. If groups and/or communities share the same concerns it is best to select a speaker for your group rather than go through a length process of repetitive comments. This preparation will free up some time and assure that all opinions have a chance to be heard by the members.
- The applicant will be placed on the agenda and allowed a limited time to enlighten the public regarding the request.