The Treasurer’s Office is responsible for the collection of revenues for the Town of Elkton. Payments of utility bills, taxes, decals and utility deposits are handled in the Treasurer’s Office.
The Treasurer’s Office accepts MasterCard® and Visa® credit/ debit cards. There is a $5.00 service charge added to each transaction.
Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm
To operate a business in the Town of Elkton, you must obtain a business license. The first year business license fee is $30.00. To renew your license each year, the tax is based on previous year’s gross receipts.
- Contractors: $.08 per $100
- Retailers; $.10 per $100
- Financial, Real Estate and Professional Services: $.29 per $100
- Repair, Personal and Business Services: $.18 per $100
- Wholesalers: $.05 per $100
- Carnivals: $100 for each performance held in the Town of Elkton
- Fortune Tellers, Clairvoyants etc.: $1,000 per year
- Massage Parlors: $30 per year for the first $15,000 of gross receipts, receipts excess of $15,000 will be $.20 per $100 of gross receipts
- Itinerant merchants or Peddlers: $30 per year
- Dealers of Precious Metals: $200 per year
****For all other business types not listed, please contact the Treasurer’s Office for rates.
The Town collects Food and Beverage Tax (Meals Tax) payments for any prepared food or beverage offered or held out for sale by a restaurant or caterer for the purpose of being consumed by any individual or group of individuals at one time. This tax is collected and paid to the Town on the 20th of the month for the previous month. Tax collected at a rate of 6%. This is in additional to any local or state sales tax.
Taxes are due December 5th
Real Estate Tax Rate: $0.085 or 8.5cents per $100
Personal Property Tax Rate: $0.46 per $100
Utility Bills are due every month on the 26th. *If the 26th falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill will be due the following business day. After the 26th, we will apply a 10% penalty to the balance of your account. If you have not received your utility bill by the 10th of the month, please contact the Treasurer’s Office.
You may pay your utility bill at:
- The Treasurer’s Office (Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm)
- At the drop box by the Police Department entrance
- Mail your bill to 173 West Spotswood Ave., Elkton, VA 22827
If you have questions about your utility bill or if you feel you have been billed incorrectly, please contact the Treasurer’s Office as soon as you receive your bill.
The day after bills are due, we will mail all customers with a balance a disconnect notice. On the notice, you will be given a date and time to which your balance will need to be paid by.
If we do not receive the balance paid in full by the deadline, your account will be closed at 11:00am on said date and services will be disconnected. An account reactivation fee will be due in addition to any remaining balance before your account becomes active.
*Even if services have not yet been disconnected, the account reactivation fee is still due.* On disconnect day, our staff is on duty until 5:00pm to restore service to those who pay. After the disconnect day, reconnections only occur between the hours of 8am to 2:30pm on Monday through Friday. We will not reconnect services on the weekends.
Contact the Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org